Tuesday, January 27, 2009

First "Real" Quiz

100%.

My chemistry class gives each student the best score of two attempts, either of which MUST be above 70% to go into the lab that week. Something has changed with me. No longer satisfied with passing, I want all points, or at least if I lose a point it is because I truly did not understand something vs. I truly did not care as much. Back in 1982, the latter was my life.

At 5 AM this morning, with a "slightly" passing grade worming around inside my head, anxiety settling in wondering what am I thinking, I got up and got ready for the day. At 9 AM, the chem lab tutors found my butt promptly seated asking questions, "Why did I get this wrong? Please help me understand. I need to know how to get the right answer but in my old age (haha), I also need to understand why the reaction does what it does."

Dutifully, and without complaint (at least to me!!) he helped me, quizzed me when stuck to get me to think in terms I assume will appear on exams, and then let me complete the work.

Taking the quiz again (they are different quizzes just on similar material) ... 100% never felt so awesome, so incredibly worth what I'm doing. It was a tiny 100% but in all honesty, true honesty, in the 10 years I have spent at the U off and on since 1982, it was my first.

And nothing has felt so sweet... I look forward to working my butt off for many, many more!

Make it a great day!

3 comments:

Ananda Jane said...

Congratulations! Here's to tutors and study labs!

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you! And you are right - tutors & study labs = success :)

Susan said...

You got the 100! Be proud. Be very proud. (Followed your blog link from OPM)

I think I may have to copy cat and start a blog myself. Though, I may just read yours for a while first.