Sunday, January 18, 2009

Oh Boy, Here I Go

Gopher-land, that mystical place I will call home for a few years, beckoned me to orientation along with about 200 other incoming transfer students. After looking around the crowd I saw many parents with their querying looks sizing me up, whilst I held my bright orientation bag. I'm sure they were wondering. Maybe I should have mentioned, I'm wondering too!

After the opening remarks it was onto indoctrination in all that is, the University of Minnesota. It is a grand institution. Having grown up in this beloved state, everything revolved around being an alumni from the U, incidentally I am, just not from the Twin Cities.

Some 20 years ago, I walked across a podium and was given a maroon folder inside of which it explained when my degree would be mailed to me. Some 20 years ago, I beamed as I sauntered across the podium fully knowing what I'd worked for and what it meant to me.

Now, 20 years later I am set. I have my textbooks for classes I'm either enrolled in or praying that there is a seat available for me. I'm praying that this latest journey of mine ends much more simply (I did not say EASY) than the journey I took 27+ years ago.

Med school, M.D., and a life fulfilled dream of serving and helping others.

No comments: