Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Exhaustion...

This life of class, study, read, write, study, read, class, lab, write, study, oh and sleep, is brutal... and I love it!

There is a blog I'm following as are many others. It's a painful read and a reminder of why I meander down the U path again, chasing a different life.

Inside this particular blog, her son is dying of an incurable brain tumor. Medulloblastoma, a cancer of the medulla oblongota which is generally incurable. He is 4.

Pediatric oncology, my medical field choice, is not undertaken lightly. Sadly, medicine is further away from finding sure cures, and less invasive/caustic treatments for children's cancer. It would be a great day when parents who have children stricken with the disease, would know the hope that a tomorrow brings, rather than the sadness.

The death of a child permeates like nothing else in life. Beyond the sheer sadness of loss and the emptiness of open arms, is the depth of guilt of having survived unnaturally beyond the child and having been helpless to change the direction of their lives.

To Henry's parents, there are no words. Just know, I think of you often.

To Henry, Godspeed young man, Godspeed.

edited: 2/25/09 11:45 PM CDT
Little Henry passed away this morning surrounded by his family. Even in blogsphere, sadness reigns.

1 comment:

...tom... said...

...
hey there...

I tried to post the other day . . .but I think my computer woes ate it... Let me try again. ...:minism:...


hey there doc 2 b...

Just wanted to note that you have left some wonderful comments at the 'other' blog. I am sure they mean much to her and her family.


Fun reading your earlier posts here just now.

I was also an older student who returned to the classroom. Though admittedly with not as many years or 'real world' experiences under my belt. But it surely can be done and I look forward to watching your progress here to 'just do it'..!!


Anyway, just a friendly 'hey' from a blogger acquaintance down I-35.


...tom...