Thursday, March 12, 2009

Beta Blockers & Test Anxiety

Two tests into one of my classes and I'm learning something entirely outside the scope of the class. I have severe test anxiety. Back in the good ole days when I did not care what grade I got, or when I got the grade, life was much easier.

School is everything I thought it would be. Love it! What I'm learning to cope with is the overwhelming test anxiety that leaves my head pounding, blood pressure sky rocketing, and breathing shallow. At times during the exam, I feel like I'm going to pass out. I knew coming back would test my endurance, my will power, and my staying power. Just had no idea that I would stress out like I do.

The doctors and I were hopeful that new treatment would help to alleviate the stress. We were wrong. I just want to be able to take an exam like everyone else and NOT panic. Guess I'm not there just yet but I am not giving up.

Apparently, doctors now prescribe beta blockers for severe test anxiety. On an exam, and during the lead up to the test, beta blockers will help lower my blood pressure which causes the migraine headaches, and help me stay focused. It is our collective hope that once I've mastered how to learn and to test, I won't need them anymore.

I can only hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool post as for me. I'd like to read something more concerning that matter. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is a few photos of any gizmos.
Jeff Flouee
Cell phone blocker