Saturday, October 3, 2009

Oh, You Mean There's Other Subjects Besides Physics??

Yes, there are apparently as noted on my printed schedule: chemistry and biochem. And apparently, because I never miss class, there are exams this coming week which works out well, strangely.

For the past several weeks, I've been so engaged in trying to make sure physics didn't bust my behind that I have done little (but some!!) work on the other classes I'm taking. Note cards for biochem, problem sets for chemistry, review of old tests for chemistry, and preview of practice exam for biochem.

Not worried at all for biochem, that seems readily straightforward - glycolipids are formed by ... Rb is a .... suppressor. Amino acids ..... , ....., ....., make up ......

I think I can nail those which gives me plenty of time to master the math in chemistry.

Thinking of which, I have no headache! Yeay for no headaches this semester!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just remember, physics has nothing to do with being a good doctor. Just another hoop you have to jump through. Good luck! I remember my PreMed time with a lot of fondness. (And yes, I was a NT student as well...)

Ella said...

Out of curiosity, why are you taking biochem? Is there a specific school you want to get into that requires it?

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you, Anon! I love this journey and am finding myself just enjoying all the aspects...

My shadowing opportunities have done everything to support this path and solidify my resolve to get into, and through, medical school.

Ella, I'm taking biochem out of desire. It is a human and disease class based upon biochem so we're learning about the basic components of biochem and genetic structure - what happens with a genetic mutation (frameshift, missense, etc), what causes these and the impact on human disease.

Beyond just desire to learn, it is my hope that it will lay a good groundwork for further biochem classes at the upper division and medical school level, of which my professor teaches.

Ella said...

Just a thought... if you are overwhelmed (which I don't sense that you are), you don't have to take biochem. You will get more biochem than you can shake a stick at in med school... and since it starts out so basic you'll be repeating a lot of what you've already learned. That being said, I LOVE BIOCHEM.... and it's so incredible to see it meshed with clinical medicine.... which I'm not sure that all undergrad biochem courses include.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you for the insight! I'm not overwhelmed at all and I love the class.

As an enrolling freshman in 1982, it was my hope to go the MD/PhD route with my dissertation in biochem.

At this point, the PhD is out and honestly, after shadowing both MD and MD/PhD, I would have missed the patient contact with the latter.