Friday, October 16, 2009

My Other Passion (edited)

The public seems so forgetful of horrid things that happen to men... and animals. Part of my saving grace is the companionship of my canine buds at home. Even without them, I think this story would irk me beyond belief.

The satirical newspaper, "The Onion" ran a story about Vick in his return to the Eagles.

I'm not sorry about saying this waste of human flesh ...

Why did I post it on my pre-med blog? Because I can, and because sometimes, MORE than medical school is in my life and on my mind ...

Over the course of several years, I used my guest house as an overnight stay for rescue groups' transferees... dogs that were on death row in WV or OH... sometimes the dogs that came through had broken jaws that didn't heal right, back legs that didn't work properly, pups that had been abandoned by careless owner/breeders, and worse.

One dog, Bobby Sue, had never been out of the puppy mill in Missouri. Puppy mill doesn't exactly describe her living conditions for 9 years...

She was born into the mill. Inside were her mother and siblings, however many survived. After being weaned from her mother, she was more than likely confined to a cage about 3' x 2' for the remainder of her life there, only to be brought out to breed every heat cycle. After years of delivering puppies to be sold at pet stores or at auctions, she was deemed garbage and put on death row.

Sometimes these dogs end up as "bait" for people like Vick to use while training their fighting dogs.

When she arrived, my younger, male great dane had just been neutered within past year. He must have still smelled "fully" male. She sniffed him, turned her rump toward his nose, and waited. Storm was not interested in anything but playing tug of war with her. I think he sensed she was clueless in the being a "pet" arena. She seemed confused with him too.

Bobby Sue was nine. She was "papered" with AKC and a "boxer" tag. The papers were forged. She was a bulldog.

She'd never been out of a kennel. She did not know what toys were, or treats, or playing. At nine years of age, I had to "teach" her to play, teach her that her toys were hers, teach her that male dogs could be fun to play with outside, in the grass where her feet never hurt.

Bobby Sue... a warm, funny, snorty, loving a dog as you could want. When she left my home after a few months of recuperation and some good ole loving, she went to the rescue service in Canada... she was diagnosed with mammarian cancer due to her systemic breedings by the puppy mill, and put to sleep.

She had a few short months of being what ALL dogs should be - fun loving, spoiled, loved, cared for, and treated with respect.

And here, this waste of human flesh getting millions because he has an arm and not a care in the world, destroys ... that which can't fight back or say no.

3 comments:

OhForPetesSake said...

I essentially agree with you about Michael Vick, but "The Onion" is a 100% satire publication. Nothing posted on there is true.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Wow - thanks for letting me know! It was the first time I'd read anything ... and honestly, it was just the spark I needed yesterday to write about what he's done... and my other passion, animal rescue.

ForeverRhonda said...

That story is extremely sad and I would trade my 2 rescue pups for anything...