Friday, November 13, 2009

Note To Self:

When rushing out the door to take exams, make sure to bring the little white pills... you know, the ones that are labeled "Propranolol" and help you not get headaches mid-exam?!

Yep, ran out the door this morning, rushing around to get things to my bosses (yes, I am a teensy little clerical worker for a department on campus) and forgot my beta blockers. Dumb headache started about 5 mins pre-exam... hands went cold. I made it through the exam ... go ahead, ask me Type 1 vs Type 2? Citric acid cycle? oxidation phosphorylation? GLUT2... really, go ahead, make my day :P

So, now here's the scoopage - beta blockers, what do they do? How do they help me cope with exams when I don't generally have high blood pressure? I could probably answer that too.

In my rudimentary knowledge, I knew that adrenaline was pumped our probably from the adrenal glands (good guess, eh?). What I figured beta blockers did was stop that pumping action thereby stopping the secretion of adrenaline (epinephrine I've come to find out). So, I was pretty darn close, I think.

And while we're at it: lipoproteins make it possible for insoluble molecules to float through the body because the outside of the lipoprotein is hydrophillic with polarized heads of a carbon chain with the hydrophobic tails turned inward where the little insoluble molecule sits very nice while being transported around the body.

Heh.

Make it a great day!

No comments: