Thursday, November 5, 2009

Shameless Plug...


As written several times, there are many who gently nudge, support, encourage and most of all, listen. I try to reciprocate but sometimes, I just fail.

A friend of mine, if I'm lucky enough to call him that, has written a book on Neil Diamond's life. And I'm shamelessly, plugging it here. My golden retriever is named after a lyric in one of Neil's songs:

The Story of My Life

"The story of my life is very plain to read
It starts the day you came
And ends the day you leave
The story of my life begins and ends with you
The names are still the same
And the story's still the truth

...

It's the story of our times and never letting go
If I die today, I wanted you to know "

Hope's real name? "Story Of Our Times"

So how does one actually meet these people? Well, in this case, one late evening in the mid-90s after having slept outside the Target Center for Elton John tickets (yes, for you youngsters that is long before buying tix online at Ticketmaster). After settling in front of the arena, #9 in line, I slept on a lawn chair completely set up with a cooler and some diet coke (go figure!!).

I was ecstatic when the windows opened up and I was first in line at my window. MORE ecstatic when I realized I was going to see my very first Elton John show (I'm a die-hard).

Sadly, the night of the great concert, a certain music reviewer disparaged my idyllic piano player/singer and said the concert basically, sucked. They say health hath no fury like a woman scorned, and I would disagree. Hell hath no fury like a woman who reads a reviewer's comment and heartily disagrees. I wrote the repugnant reviewer. I asked him which grade school he actually graduated from and if he'd advanced musically beyond playing a xylophone and/or glockenspiel.

He wrote back. Eee gad!! Le Gasp! And therein started a friendship of sorts. I never met the man face to face until well into the 2000s. We corresponded about our kids, our lives, and he NEVER recanted his account of that concert. It never mattered to me. I'd moved on. And while I'm still a die-hard Elton fan, I too can sometimes understand where the reviewer comes from. I think he is spot on.

And so, I think a book by him, is probably less a review than a composite of a well-known, and beloved singer. If it holds true to form, it is worth the few bucks you will pay for it and I, for one, can tell you, he's objective.



(and by the way, thank you, JB)

No comments: