Monday, December 7, 2009

ALS

What a hard topic to write about. Futile. In the 17 years since our family friend was diagnosed with the disease, and subsequently succumbed to it as well, no dynamic therapies have been found, no progression cessation regiments, still, not a lot of hope.

Able mind, unable body. I'm glad the paper is done, and likewise, I did learn: SOD1 mutations, missense, glutamate aggregation, myelin sheath degeneration, motor neuron disease. I even found I like reading neurology materials (please keep that VERY quiet... no one need know, I've found an area that peaks my curiousity).

Glad the paper is finished. I think I could have done a better job... so goes the life of a pre-med: always doing my best, second guessing if that is good enough, and praying it all comes out in the end with an acceptance letter somewhere.

Make it a great day!

6 comments:

Slamdunk said...

ALS has impacted my family as well. One less paper to worry about--sounds like good news.

A Doc 2 Be said...

I am so sorry. Mere words on a blog do not describe appropriately.

With stem cell research and funding, let us all hope that a treatment and cure can be found for all the motor neuron diseases so that hope can be restored and this villainous thing called ALS can be stopped.

Anonymous said...

Check out www.prize4life.org, a great organization that is doing a lot with ALS research.

Amy said...

Thank you so much for writing a paper on ALS for your pre-med studies. I would like to encourage you to learn more about the work being done by the ALS Therapy Development Institute (ALS TDI). Essentially, ALS TDI is a non-profit biotech working to discover a treatment for patients living with ALS today. Please visit www.als.net or you can certainly contact me at any time.

Your friend in the fight,

Amy Whipple
Midwest Regional Director, ALS TDI
awhipple@als.net
586-254-1560

nat aka remymarlin said...

I regularly track anything ALS-related cause my dad suffers from it and your blog post just came up. Since you like reading neurology materials that much I thought you might be interested in following this blog: http://neurologyminutiae.blogspot.com/

Have a happy pre-med journey! :)

A Doc 2 Be said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father. Perhaps,one day, I will have the exact words to say. Today, they escape me.

Thank you for pointing me to another blog for secretly (!!), I've found neurology fascinating.

My best to you and your family.