Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Mass - Cathedral

I'm not Catholic... not even sure I could be considered a strong Christian. I believe that Christ existed, I believe very strongly in God as the Creator (mixed in with some good old fashioned evolution) but if my canine companions are unwelcome in Heaven, then I'm pretty sure I don't want to go there either. Anyway, I go to Mass. It's beautiful.

About 1.5 hours before Mass the Cathedral puts on a choral/organ/harps performance. It's wonderful, peaceful, angelic. The Mass itself is obviously very Catholic with all its pageantry, opulence, and grandeur. I leave with a sense of well being and peace; wanting to give back to others, grateful for what I already have.

This year the former senator from my great state sat in front of me. In 2002 my son, then 10, and I volunteered some 2000+ hours to get him and the governor elected, and they were. I met him several times along with his wife; he was arrogant, insensitive, and many other not-so-nice adjectives. I really didn't like him much.

In keeping with my hopeful anonymity of myself and others, I'm not disclosing what happened this past year to him but I think he got a pantry full of humble pie.

Tonight he was polite, we chatted a few minutes - he has a friend connection to one of mine - he was sincere. The calm, cool arrogance of the man was gone replaced by a humility that came from within, not his PR person's script.

I told him that I hoped 2010 was much kinder to him than 2009 had been. He said God always has a plan. I smiled, "I know. Are you going to listen?"

The former Senator from my great state, let out his shoulders a bit, smiled warmly, "Yes. Are you?"

If only he knew. May the shared humble pie that both of us got served, help us to continue to follow God's plan, whatever that may be.

I hope that 2010 is better than 2009 for all of us!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: