Saturday, December 26, 2009

EMT Training

Thinking about getting the EMT basic certification. A friend of mine from high school is in charge of an embassy in a developing part of the world. After asking if there's be a means to have me come there and assist in the clinics, he said it'd be a piece of cake to get me over there and into a clinic if I had the EMT.

So, I've checked the local community colleges for the program/classes required, test dates, etc and think I may take them. I'm not sure how much or how little it will help on my application to have EMT BUT I am hoping that me going to a 3rd world country and my experience helping in a clinic there will be interesting to the adcom.

Just a thought. Will continue to ponder it. For if I do that, then...

Do I answer the wink from school? It said there's a pharmacology class open as well... and whispers softly that the biology professor I like still has seats available in his labs. And of course, I've already been reading the neuro sci book by Dr. Doidge. FASCINATING!

Make it a great day!

4 comments:

Old MD Girl said...

I think EMT training sounds like a great idea.

Merry Xmas!

A Doc 2 Be said...

Happy New Year to you!

Sounds like this could be a go come end of spring semester thinking 3 weeks there; 1 in clinics in capital city; 1 touring around the slave castles and another touring neighboring countries.

Africa. Just where my post from December (?) last year said I wanted to go.

Kara said...

Hey there-

Regarding EMT training, think about checking into local high schools as well. Some schools have cheap programs for high school students that offer basic certification before they even graduate... and sometimes, instructors can be convinced to let a not-so-traditional student sit in for a small fee. Wouldn't be tons of fun to sit with high school students, but it's something to look at.

Just a hint. (I've also looked into this!)

Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year!

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you for the heads-up! I will definitely check it out :)

If it would help me get to Africa, expenses paid, into developing country clinics, it would be more than worth it - whether or not I ever got admitted to med school.