Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Looking In Reverse At 2009

Letter to my RL friends and now to all of you:
-------------------------------------
What an amazing year!

Some of you, probably most, read that and thought, "Eh? Seriously?" To which I would say, "YES!"

While I could choose to dwell on how difficult this year has been, I won't. Instead, I'll look back and dance on the grave of despair, and dig my pointy, well-heeled toes into the soil singing Neil Diamond's, "Pretty Amazing Grace" !!

At the beginning of the year I was registered for chemistry and math, chasing a dream, following a lifelong passion. Yes, there were some bumps, or many, along that semester but what did I learn? I can persevere.

In May a visit to the medical school in smaller town showed that oncology was out, I'd fallen in love with the idea of rural family med.

In June I got a job as clerical staff on the university campus. What did I learn? I can go from mega-bucks and no meaning, to no bucks and wealth of purpose. I can have a boss 1/2 my age learning as much from her as she from me.

In July, the children of my 4th grade teacher reached out to me, letting me know what I wrote about their father meant a lot to them. I'd be sorely remiss to not remark on them writing to me, proved he lives on through them; my drive was renewed, hope restored.

In August it was affirmed that rural care is where it's at. To the physician and his nurse who opened their clinic and their professional lives for me to peek into, "Thank you" seems insufficient. Simply allowing me to divorce my lunch and not laugh at me (thank you, thank you!!) showed me grace, humility, and warmth. I'm likewise blessed that your patients seemed completely fine having a perfectly unknown, un-medically trained student in their exams. I came home that first day with a smile so bright, I think I lit up the sky!

On a day in October when I questioned my age, my path, my rationale being in your clinic again reaffirmed my drive. You two are everything and more that I believe rural family practitioners should be. I was blessed to spend my time with you (and will eagerly look forward to more!... just no small lunches :D) BTW, thank you for taking such great care of my father.

During fall semester I learned why phosphorylation is important to health, why we really breathe (no, it's not to fill your lungs, it has to do with blood pH), what happens with diabetics, why HIV is so incredibly deadly and scientists are unable to make a vaccine for it (RNA replication, CD4 and GP 120 be damned), and why some genetic mutations can really cause havoc. It was about at that time, neurology winked at me. I like the winks! But I'm sold on rural care and biochem.

Through my biochem class, and my blog, I was hooked into an ALS research group that I'm looking forward to volunteering for. Through physics I learned that professors don't have to be creepy to be funny in class and teach. Through chemistry... well, I learned to focus on the rainbows in life and chasing a dream. :D

With my son, I learned to let go, and let God. Sometimes children who are overindulged need to have pendulum swing the other way for a bit, to become more centered. I'm blessed with amazing parents who have seen our need to help him become the man we know he already is; he now needs to find that for himself. While he looks at joining the Marines (and I cringe) that may be his path, his dream, his passion.

I hope all of you always embrace the storms of life so that the awakening sunshine feels 10x better. May you always see the rainbows in every situation for they represent the hope of a new beginning, a new horizon.

Some people dream. Some people do. (now trademarked, btw). I could not have survived this year and all its bumps without your help, support, prayers, guidance, and love. I am blessed to have all of you in my life and am ever so thankful for that.

This year, and always, I wish you a very blessed Christmas (Happy Hanukkah) and very Happy New Year!!

No comments: