Thursday, December 10, 2009

Loss of Words

I've met someone through the university; amazing individual - twinkling eyes, stories I'm sure I'd love to hear, a wife he adores, children he loves, grandchildren; charismatic, kind hearted, I go on forever.

For privacy reasons (his life), I will not state what it is that is bothering me but... sometimes I just don't know what to say when I hear news that is not delightful. Instead, I just wanted to give him a hug, tell him I think and pray for his family, and hug him again. I wish that were 1) appropriate and 2) enough.

Instead, I'm rendered speechless... and yet my heart aches for him and his family. I wish I had gone to med school 20 years ago and done the PhD route as well. I wish I had found a way to help back then so now, I'd have the tools to say the right thing, to help, to comfort.

Instead, all I could say is I'm so sorry. It seems too trite.

2 comments:

Slamdunk said...

I think just the time and effort spent listening is often a desired gift to others in need.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you. Just doing that feels helpless...