Monday, February 15, 2010

Reviewing Various Models


After reviewing many models, I think this one is the most appropriate. I can hold patient files, my stethoscope, cell phone, handy pager for when I fall down and break a hip; was thinking I could even add in pink tennis balls to help the walker glide along the floor while moving between patient visits. So, when I apply to that med school I visited this weekend, the physician who dismissed me can accurately depict my physical abilities because obviously at 45, this is what I should aspire to.

Yes, this is all tongue in cheek.

As I type this, it also angers me for a bunch of reasons the least of which is those who actually NEED these types of mobility units.

Are they discriminated against because their mobility is somewhat decreased?

Are they seen as being less ABLE MINDED due to their decreased physical mobility?

Do we as a society look to those who don't have 10 toes, 10 fingers and an ability to run a 4.3 100 meter dash as less than equal?

Yes, I'm still bothered by that physician's comments. Caribbean my butt... maybe I should buy this, send it to him with a note attached:

"From the 45 year old pre-med you deemed too old and apparently, too stupid for your med school. Enjoy as you look at the diminishing years of your own life."

Then again, maybe not.

5 comments:

ForeverRhonda said...

I LOVE THIS POST! If you want to send it to him anonymously I will go halves on the walker with you!

Old MD Girl said...

Aw, AD2B, I know it can really bring you down when you hear such discouraging comments. I remember how it got *me* down.

My only advice? Try not to let it get to you, galvanize yourself against the naysayers, and come up with a really good response to address the age thing, because it WILL come up in interviews, and will be something important to address in your personal statement as well.

There are "old" people in med school. Usually not 45, but 40 is not uncommon AT ALL.

Now, if you don't start blogging about your dogs, your house, and your chemistry classes again soon, I will begin to think that YOU are doubting YOURSELF. You wouldn't want me to think that, would you?

;-)

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thanks Rhonda and OMDG :)

I'm not doubting myself, I am looking at it this way:

There are 128 AMCAS schools.

I just took one of them completely off my list and saved myself the $75 supplemental app fee (which I'll use to help buy that walker :P)

Mi said...

Very funny!

Hopefully, you would lend it to me from time to time.

Kara said...

Awesome post!!! I love it!

Totally got me laughing. Not the inside chuckle, but the loud laugh that makes my kids ask me what's so funny.

Thanks for the smile!

What a good idea to send him the walker... love it!