Monday, March 8, 2010

Dagnamit Algebra

Quadratic equation. Seriously, what the heck is so hard about this??? Plug some numbers into the dumb thing, use the pretty pink TI-84 Plus Silver Edition calculator (courtesy of my son), get the x= answers, fit into equation and see which one works.

And yet!? Growl. Sigh.

I love math and yet I cannot, for the life of me, get the same answer twice. It's driving me nuts.

Math is awesome. I think it's the calculator buttons that I'm getting confused on. Something is just not right... and it's making me... giggle.

Who'd have thought 4 years ago, 3 years ago, heck TWO years ago, that this little nuance would drive me nutty. Drive me to eat chocolate for breakfast.

Back at it...

6 comments:

Old MD Girl said...

One of my greatest fears is that my beloved TI-82 will die, forcing me to acquire a newer, fancier, and impossible to use TI-84. Good luck. You have my sympathies.

And now, for fun: negative b plus or minus the square root of b squared minus 4ac all over 2a.

A Doc 2 Be said...

hahaha... yep, that's it; finally did the equation in Excel and got answers that made sense to me in my head.

But I cannot seem to punch the TI-84 buttons properly and get the same answer.

/bang my head

putnam2800 said...

Haha that made me chuckle. I feel the same way with my physics class.. I think figuring out those calculators should be a course on its own!

Mike Dicianna "Redfokker" said...

I feel your pain...Always remember to put () around stuff. Your calculator is a slave to order of operations. I am in Hell week of Winter term and a Module test with this formula is looming over my head!

Stick with it. I'm glad you love math. I quit caring about math in 1971 when I was a junior in high school. Now its coming back to bite me in the behind!

ForeverRhonda said...

I hate math. With the fire of one thousand suns.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Rhonda,

I LOVE math.

I HATE punching buttons on the TI-84!!!

Fumbling fingers anyway :P