Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And Then There Were Two

The other great dane in my brood, bloated last night. At almost 12 years of age, 9 years with someone else, it was his time.

In the 20 minutes after he ate, I knew something was wrong. Unlike the event with Storm, there was no panic, just a harried pace to get him some relief.

Last night, in the brightly lit entry of an emergency vet, I authorized the euthanasia of Dutch, the grumbly great dane that darkened the top stairs of our new house.

Run free, my friend, run free. Somewhere up there is a cherry wood desk for you to hide underneath while you watch the world go 'round. Somewhere up there is a bone for you to chew, and lap for you to rest upon.

I will never forget you, my friend, never.

6 comments:

Old MD Girl said...

Dislike.

:-(

A Doc 2 Be said...

Double dislike here.

:(

ForeverRhonda said...

I'm sorry.

Slamdunk said...

My condolences on the loss of your friend. That can't be easy.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you. It was time... still not easy, but it was time... the bloat just escalated what I'd decided would need to be done.

Elizabeth said...

I am sorry for your loss, I know how these gentle giants become a part of your family!