Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Back On Earth

On a perfectly beautiful Monday afternoon, I was harnessed up. There was no turning back, no saying, "No, I'm not going", no stating the obvious, "This is sort of dangerous, aye?" despite 11 pages of legal disclaimer more often than not, claiming, I COULD DIE!!!





The harnessing done, plane taxiing down the grassy traverse called a runway, effortlessly hoisting the pilot and a skydiving team of 4 (two idiots and two jump masters), we were off.

As the plane continued upward, I kept thinking we must almost be there.

Nope, we were at only 2500 feet. In my teensy brain I wondered, what in the hell I'd gotten myself into. Then we hit turbulence and the single prop, decaying Cessna jolted a bit. My stomach flipped. I smiled, internally wondering what had possessed me. Feeling like a little kid on a long car ride on 55 MPH highways, I wondered if "we were there yet." Not quite. Still another 7000' to go. Half an hour later, it was my friend's turn to go.

What surprised me most is that once his foot was out of the plane, he was gone. Like a prom dress... I mean, like a man with a mission, he was gone and with a gulp, I was moved forward. Unsure, cold, wary, I put my foot on the tiny plank, moved my other leg outside the plane and we were off.

To not be outdone, MY jump master apparently thought this first time jumper should do a ceremonious backflip in the air...

at 10,000 feet...

through a cloud.

The first 5000 feet are definitely the coldest and strangest. Hurtling to the Earth at 120 MPH is not for the faint of heart. The noise is as if two freight trains fully loaded with heavy materials are passing each other, with me standing in the median, engines screaming, wheels scraping against the metal rails. Loud... scratch that. VERY loud!

Cold, not scared, I wondered when I'd be warm again, wondered if I was going to lose my shoe that had become untied "CANNOT LOSE THE ASICS NIMBUS IN BRIGHT, HOT PINK," blared through my mind. Yes, really... as I was hurtling in freefall to the Earth I was worried about my pretty, hot pink running shoes and how cold I was, "When will I be warm again? I wonder if Jim is cold in shorts? Wonder if this will look good on the video?"

Then the chute opened, we glided to the landing spot, and peaceful, calm silence ensued. Conversations with the jump master were easy to hear. The scenery below my feet was amazing, the clouds were wisps of darkening white, and then, it was over. My hot pink shoes still on my feet (which I promptly tied), my friend was indeed cold but had warmed up and met me with a ginormous smile.


And, yes, I can't wait to go again. ONE backflip? Are you kidding me? I want a full twist next time WITH a backflip!!

Make it a great day ~ mine is going to be superb!

4 comments:

Old MD Girl said...

Damn you're tall. (Also crazy. Sky diving?? Never for me in 1,000,000 years!)

A Doc 2 Be said...

Lawl. You wimp!! (just kidding)

Haha. Scariest part was surely the plane ride to 10,000 feet, the rest was simply a matter of wondering how my pink shoe was going to stay on my foot :)

(deleted first comment because apparently, blogger doesn't want to give bloggers the ability edit their grammatically, incorrect comments!!)

Slamdunk said...

Ha, good for you. You are much more courageous than me.

My brother did that and had it videod for a story he was writing--he will never do it again and is afraid of heights to begin with.

A Doc 2 Be said...

I'm terrified of heights - anything above the 3rd run on a step ladder and I'm dizzy.

The worst part, seriously, was getting to 10,000 feet above the ground (not sea level). With the turbulence and the tiny plane shifting, I was more nervous at that point.

Jumping was simply a choice of:

1) going to land in rickety plane

OR

2) going to land softly with tip toes and pretty chute

I chose the latter :D

Can't wait to do it again!!