Friday, August 20, 2010

For many years, since the death of my own child, I've wanted to be a pediatric oncologist; oncology my field of choice since I was 10. With my son's death, my passion turned to really sick kids, desparately hoping parents, and tiny rays of hope.

There is yet another family enduring the heart breaking finding that their child is very ill. It is heart wrenching. Insidious tumors invading a youngster's brain give no access to surgically remove the invading tissue and therefore, little hope for parents and their beloved child.

I'd encourage the readers to donate to St. Jude. As I do every Christmas, I am asking again.

I may never be the pediatric oncologist I've wanted to be but I can support research institutions like St. Jude, like Johns Hopkins, and indirectly, the parents who find themselves at the mercy of the very talented physicians and researchers.

https://shop.stjude.org/GiftCatalog/express-donation.do?fnl=don_sin&plt=STJGENLKALSAC1000001

And the blog that prompted this post...

http://joshuajoelhunter.blogspot.com/2010/08/what-day.html

5 comments:

K said...

definitely agree (with donations). Pediatric oncologists are some of the most amazing doctors I worked with. And parents of the children they take care of are even more amazing. What you have endured is unfathomable for a common human being to understand. I do hope you pursue your dream of becoming a pediatric oncologist. You, like no other, can really understand.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you, K.

It is very doubtful I will pursue ped onc as the fellowship post residency would make me 57 when starting practice... and that is presuming I finish pre-reqs and matriculate... those doors are silently shutting in private.

PACSman said...

This is the granddaughter of the pastor where I went to church for almost 8 years so I know the story and the individuals well.

In times like these you question where modern medicine ends and God begins but whatever the outcome is and as hard as it sometimes is to accept it is His will.

I have worked directly with St Jude as well and asked the docs how they dealt with death on a daily basis. Their answer was simple- more walk out of here than don't and from those who don't we learn so even more can walk away cured. It doesn't lessen the pain of losing a loved one by any means but knowing the loss hasn't been completely in vain somewhat tempers the loss and puts it in perspective.

Your thoughts and prayers are coveted by Josh, Lisa, Ava and all the Hunter family from Pastor Joel on down...Where medicine can't cure sometimes faith can.

PACSMan

Slamdunk said...

It takes an enormous amount of resources to provide these kind of services--funding that can be even more scarce in the difficult economy.

Thanks for sharing the link and reminded us about the great work being done at St. Jude.

Jobbing Doctor said...

You don't need to be a paediatric oncologist to be able to use your son's death to help others.

It has helped me a lot in my career when I have been faced with a child's death that I can call on my own experiences, feelings and inner soul to relate to my patients.

I know when to talk, and I know when to be silent.

Good luck with your career.

Jobbing Doctor (UK Primary Care Doctor and Father of Laurence who died inexplicably in 1990 - no cause found at PM or inquest)