Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Not So Fast Philly!

As much as the opportunity sounded like great fun: new city, new people, new places to explore, the job/contract in Philadelphia has disappeared. To be honest, I'm kind of glad. Here's why:

Over the past week, I've realized how much my parents mean to me. Not that I needed reminding but I realize how frail they are becoming, how limited my days are with them. Storm sort of showed me that all can seem to be well, only to end in sheer sadness.

Over the past week, I've realized how much I do not want to solve a conglomerate's problems with their financial close. Been there, done that; was I willing to do so again? Sure! But not at my expense (literally - I would have to pay all my travel expenses).

Over the past week, friends I thought had dropped off the face of the earth, locally, have re-emerged, showing their own tenacity to make it through these very difficult times. Reaching out to me, has helped me cope with the loss of my beloved Storm. Reaching out to me, has reinforced I have roots here, a love here, and God willing, school here. I don't need to go anywhere at this time. I can just learn to be still.

Over the past week, I have reflected on what it is that I want, and what it is not. I don't want to chase a gold lined street, I want stability and sanity. Again, having had one of the top jobs at a very large global company, I did that once before, I think I'll pass this time.

So, not so fast Philly! But thank you anyway!

Make it a great day - go chase your dream!

I'm continuing to find ways to chase my own - won't you join me?

1 comment:

Slamdunk said...

Glad you were able to evaluate the opportunity vs. the cost. I am not a big Philly fan anyway.