Sunday, April 24, 2011

Job's Daughters

Another forum spoke of Free Masonry (or Masons) and unfortunately, in my opinion, perpetuated that belief that the people who join the group, and its subsidiary groups like Eastern Star, Job's Daughters, or De Molay; are somehow evil doers, secretive, and nasty.

I was a Jobie.  I loved being a Jobie.  The girls in my group were awesome, inspiring, personable, fun loving, kind, considerate, and loving.  I remember the night Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford's election coverage.  We had a sleep over in the bethel.  Twenty five or thirty girls supervised by 4 elder women with food brought in by us, we prayed for a peaceful election night, then played games like Monopoly, or Clue, or Life.  We watched the TV.  We were elated (or saddened) on the outcome. 



We also did a seance in the cloak room and got busted by our bethel guardian.  Haha, Shirely Lee.  She about killed me. 

As time passed, I moved away and part of the pain of leaving that area was there was no Job's Daughters where I was going.

That one group gave me strength and understanding for the rest of my life.  When often asked what part of my childhood have I hung onto (besides wanting to be a doc), it is my Jobie heritage.

I'm proud of it.  I wish in my young adult life I had clung more tightly to the teachings but as my life has unfolded, I've often joked, Job had it worse than me.

We learned to give to others volunteering in shelters, on street cleanup - LONG before big companies paid large sums of money to hoist a sign in tribute to them - we did it quietly.  We went to nursing homes and sang for the elderly, we rode horses, we played basketball, we prayed for a better understanding of ourselves and the society in which we live.

We learned to understand and appreciate ALL faiths - whether Christian, Muslim, or Jew.  We learned by going to those services, not just reading a book.  We learned by being with people who did not believe as we did - within our own chapter, we had Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, and the heathen (tongue in cheek here) Congregationalists (of which I am one).  We learned to be obedient and kind, trusting and forthright.  We learned honesty and charity.

All at the age of 13 or so. 

We came to understand the Shriner's organization.  While I do not like circuses, the group does amazing things with their burn hospitals... just ask the kids who have been taken care of there, or the families.

Want to know more?  Click below.  It is the link to the Minnesota Chapter of Job's Daughters.

http://www.mnjd.org/

2 comments:

Red Stethoscope said...

Aww, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insinuate that they were evil or nasty. My understanding (which came from a documentary that I watched on History Channel, I'm pretty sure) was that, unlike other organizations, the free masons intentionally use symbols and obscurity in what they do. I also picked up, somewhere along the way, that the reference to the "supreme being," was a reference to paganism, which is why I was all, "Can ADVENTISTS be free masons?" My annoyance with the guy was more that he was rude (interrupting my conversation) and also, he didn't have any basis for defending the free masons (like you clearly do). I've actually never heard of Job's Daughters before, but I Googled it (and read what you wrote) and they seem like a great organization! So anyway, sorry. I didn't mean to cause any offense. I was trying to write about what my gut reaction to the guy was, but I do see that I could have explained that better, so that it didn't seem like I was attacking the free masons. For the FB guy, though, the combination of that with Fox News was just bizarre. My knowledge of the free masons may be limited, but I can spew a tangent of Fox News any day! (Sorry if you're a big fan of Fox News, but I don't agree with their journalism practices...that one we're just going to have to agree to disagree about!)

A Doc 2 Be said...

Not offended, RS. Just felt compelled to uncode the Masonry...

I had a Catholic friend tell me many years ago that if I believed what the Free Masons taught, that she and I could no longer be friends.

Like, ummm.... wth?

So, no offense (and I don't watch TV so I have no idea about FOX) :D