Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dysplasia

My well bred, sired by OFA Excellent/OFA Good parents, CH pedigree through 5 generations - one Ch winning Westminster, genetic guarantee to 2 years old... has severe dysplasia. Hope, Hopinator, Hopealong, Hoper, Hopee limps. Actually, she not only limps, she holds her leg up off the ground.


At first I thought maybe it was something she'd stepped upon but after a full 24 hours, I took her to the vet and the x-rays confirmed the worst. Severe dysplasia with arthritis.

She is possibly a candidate for titanium hips (yes, they do that for dogs now), devenation therapy (which is a band-aid in my opinion as it does not fix the underlying genetic disease state but merely removes the pain sensing nerve), or conservative medications.

If you've followed my blog, Storm's story... Hope, upon vet approval for the procedure, will be the bionic, titanium Golden Retriever. I'm crossing my fingers the vet will say she is a candidate.

She's miserable. I feel horrible that she's been so stoic for so long. My son is worried. We all are.

Back to work... so I can invest in new titanium mines!

2 comments:

Doctor Blondie said...

Shame, poor puppy!

Slamdunk said...

I hope you get some good news--never good to see a furry loved one suffer.