Monday, September 12, 2011

Strangers In The Day

Trying to figure out where to study is always an adventure. I knew I needed to be on campus, somewhere quiet enough so my ADHD doesn't kick into hyper drive. After arriving, I decided to head to the med school area hoping that little extra jolt of reality would help keep me focused (I'm currently off Concerta because until I registered, I've not had health insurance for almost 2 years).

I digress.

Walking into the school, there is an upward staircase leading to the dental school and other research areas, and downward that leads into the medical school and health sciences section.

As I walked down the stairs, there was an elderly man with a cane making his way. I stopped to hold the door for him, insisting that respect for my elders is greater than his respect for my gender. I held the next one as well, insisting on it.

He stopped to thank me. Asked me if I was a student. When I told him that I am, he asked for what.

"Allopathic physician, sir," I replied.

He gave me his office number, it was hard to hear his last name. He gave me the encouragement to stop by, requested I send him an email.

Turns out he's the head of a division of the medical school.

He wants to help.

There in the bowels of the medical school my dream got just a little jolt of optimism. Now, I will need to continue to perform!

Make it a great day - chase your dream!

5 comments:

Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Excellent. Isn’t life amazing how it sometimes drops just the right contact into our paths ?~! Good for you for following up and seeing where it can take you. And are we glad you were taught to be polite or What ~!~!

NP Odyssey said...

Good for you. Also a good lesson to never judge a book and treat everyone with respect and as an equal. You never know who they may be.

A Doc 2 Be said...

@ Lynda - I love older people. I love their stories, warmth, and willingness to help. Had he been "just a doc" I would have wanted to know more about him, just because...

I showed my boss the follow-up email sent to me:

"As you opened the door for me, I'd like to open the door of medicine for you" - a large thud was heard in the vicinity of my chair as I fell off of it, and my eyes welled.

The individual is world renown. He has sent me several documents that I've only just started to read.

My mouth is agape.

@ NPO - my father once told me, and through his own example showed me, that everyone should be respected. If a person is nasty, respect them anyway. Higher road, he told me. More often than not, it works out better for me... despite that once in awhile, I want to punch someone in the nose!

Slamdunk said...

I am glad your innocent good deed was rewarded with at least some hope.

Good things do happen to good people.

Solitary Diner said...

Exciting! It reminds me of a story from the school where I did my graduate degree. On the first day of medical school, someone collapsed in front of the entrance to the hospital, and most of the new medical students passed her by because they were in a hurry to get to class. It turned out to be one of the (very unimpressed) medical school lecturers.