Sunday, October 2, 2011

Kicked Out

Apparently, the University has a policy that only those with a university ID card can be in the library after hours.  I get that.  Vagrants, homeless people, common petty thieves, etc could be lurking around the library trying to sleep or abscond with food left sitting out.  I really do get it.

However, if you read back to last September's post where my vehicle was broken into, my backpack stolen, and my dream at that time put on indefinite hiatus, my IDs were in the backpack, along with credit cards, driver's license, and reward cards.

In being an older student, I pay the fees like everyone else (a whopping $1,300), but didn't feel like paying another $20 for another university ID card.  The card office said they would give it to me free with a police report from the night mentioned above.  That'd work well except for the work-school-work-home schedule I'm currently keeping, and that said PD is about 30 miles away.

So, last night I asked the young guard if she could call a supervisor and ask if there was some other way I could prove my student status.  Apparently, homeless vagrants and thieves like to carry around 30# of organic chemistry books, molecule kits, and homework.  She did not relay that I'm not some 19 year who lost their "homework" and did not relay that I work on campus.  No, she made it sound like I am 19 and just irresponsible.

The supervisor said to if I could log into the university systems, that would be fine to let me stay.

AWESOME!  Except for this:

IT services, including Moodle, WebVista, and PeopleSoft, will be unavailable from 6 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 1, until noon, Sunday, Oct. 2, 2011. More information >

It was 6:15 pm on October 1st.

So, I left, called the security office to ask what else could be done, and was put on hold.

LOL.  Call me, "Ad2b-homeless-vagrant" :)




3 comments:

NP Odyssey said...

I don't know how to say anything different than, that sucks.

LOL. Let's say for this one, I'm hoping you get Lots Of Love for your situation... and from security and the school.

Insomniac Lab Rat said...

Any chance the police department can fax the report to you or someone at your school?

When "my" car got stolen in college, my dad had to actually file the report since he bought it, but the police department faxed me a copy of the report (immediately) so I could get a new parking pass and such at school.

Might be worth a quick call to the PD to see if they'll do the same.

A Doc 2 Be said...

@ ILR - good idea; I'll have to call them tomorrow after my exam. They may be willing to do.

@ NPO - I gets lotsa love everywhere :P

T-24 hours