Wednesday, December 7, 2011


Had to move my classes today to accommodate work (they've accommodated everything for me this semester, this was one time I could give back on scheduling issues).  So, I hurried to school after picking up my 52 oz diet coke and two donuts (damn the LDL/HDL counts anyway - that's another story).

Anyway, there is a tunnel from one of the buildings to the other.  It leads to the lower level entrance of the ochem lecture hall in the old building.  Honestly, the new science and technology building leaves very little to desire.

Anyway, after walking down the stairs in my black wool coat over my suit, I turned the corner and after that, I'm not sure what happened.

I had fallen onto the hard floor onto one knee and after hitting the floor, the propulsion must've pushed me hard onto my left arm (I'm sure to brace the fall).

I could not move.  A swarm of 20 or so students passed me, side stepped me in the narrow hallway where the diet coke had flown out of my hands and spilled.

NOT one person stopped to help or ask if I needed help.  About 5 minutes passed during which I was trying to figure out how badly I was hurt and if I could even get up on my own.

A youngish man about 20 turned the same corner, passed me by, then came back.

"Do you need help?"

I smiled, pride intact, and said I did not think so; just trying to catch my breath to stand up.  He wandered back around the other corner and must've heard me mutter, "Oh God" when I tried to stand up.

He came quickly back.  Offered to call the ambulance or police (no, no drama please).  Offered to help me up.  I still thought I could do it on my own, I said.

But after standing, I blacked out; sick to my stomach from the pain, woozy.  Anyway, he asked again what he could do to help.

"Would you mind picking up my backpack?  I don't think I can bend down to get it."

"Are you still going to class?"

"I'm a premed at 47.  I cannot afford to miss class, ever."

I don't remember the rest of the conversation, and I forgot to get his name.  He walked me to my class, made sure I could open doors (I cannot, my arm is really hurting, and I cannot lift it above my waist).

We parted ways; I'm sure I won't see him again.

But now, I know how anonymous others whom I've helped at accident scenes, or when they were lost in the parking ramp of the big parking ramp, or when... felt.

Gracious.  Thankful.  Humbled.

I only wish I knew his name.


MamaDoodle said...

What did the medical people say? I assume there have been medical people involved by now? I hope you're ok!

Slamdunk said...

Sorry to hear about your spill and glad that a good guy eventually passed by.

My trademark drink in class was the giant Mountain Dew. Unfortunately, I got to where I could drink the Dew and go right to sleep if needed--our body's adjust.

I hope you feel better (pride and all).

A Doc 2 Be said...

@ MamaDoodle - no medical personnel involved. If I were to do that, police reports would have to be filed, I'd have to talk to the blahblahlbhalblah on campus because it happened on their property (litigious society that we are, I'm sure they'd want to protect themselves)... I don't want anything to put my name on anyone's radar right now. Fly low. If something is still wrong next week, I'll check in with my regular doc and say I fell outside.

SD - Mt Dew was my favorite in college back in, ahem, 1982. Then diet Dew came out, and the Slice. I cannot even look at it now!

Diet coke all the way!!!