Thursday, February 2, 2017

You Know

Who I am.

Night after night, I stand at the ice, holding some sign.  Some funny, some just simply state:

"I Believe" ...

I do. Really, I do, guys.

Almost 30 years ago - yes some of you weren't born yet - 30 years ago, I buried my first son.  He was 6 months old, a SIDS baby... I buried him with a University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs hockey stick signed by Hully, Watson, Kurvers, Sprenger, Mason x 2, and a few others.  My son was the son of the 'Dogs... my roommates married those guys (or some of them) and helped me get the stick signed. I've always been a "hockey mom" :)

Ya'll are like sons to me though we may never meet in person.  I feel like the Bolts Mom, cheering you on as if... he'd lived.

So, I continue to believe in you.  I continue to stand in the stands and cheer, and wave my thunder clapper, and hold dumb signs.

I continue to believe in you because...

1. you're really, really good men ON the ice and more so, OFF the ice... you're men I'd believe were good people no matter what; you're men who, I'd have hoped my son would be like had he lived... strong, fierce, honest

2.  you're really beaten up; no one in their right mind thinks it is okay to come back from adversity time after time after time after time at the highest levels of a very competitive sport with refs (let's face it, O'Hell should be fired and fined)... but you guys do.  It's one thing to come back once or even twice.  But 3x or 4x or 5x?  My blog is filled with the adversity I've struggled with to become a doc, in the hidden alcoves of my home. Can't imagine having to do so in the press and the (bandwagon) fan pages of Tampa.

3.  you're really great fathers, husbands, boyfriends, teammates, and friends - no doubt those who really know you see that as well.  I do.. from the 5th row in 117, each and every home game.

And hopefully, on Feb 10th, I'll see you in MY hometown, St. Paul to cheer the guys I believe in, at my home arena, in front of my friends who own the team, in my white / blue Bolt emboldened jersey (with Boyle on the back of course) sitting behind MY Bolt's bench...

Because I really do believe in you guys.  And as a mom, I'm so stinking proud of you for enduring this horrific, injury laden season.

You go be the Bolts, I'll hopefully get to be your Thunder in Minnesota...

I'll drive 1600 miles cuz



No comments: