Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Continuing The Journey

A few weeks have passed since my decision was made, I've let my closest friends know and have been amazed at their support. I've yet to tell anyone in my family except for my 16 year old son who simply said, "I always wondered why you didn't try."

With bated breath, I waited for their rolling eyes, sighs, and any other outward signs of disbelief and received none. The comments ranged from, "It's about time!" to "take it one class at a time, one quarter at a time and you'll make it. You know that."

I think it's that last comment that is so critical for me to remember:


So often I've focused on the end result rather than enjoying and focusing on the present, especially when related to school. As an incoming freshman to the U of MN, I had my entire 4-year program mapped out, scheduled, teachers selected, etc by the first day of my first semester... What I forgot to do was focus on the present and instead got wrapped up into the what-could-I-do and took 7 years to graduate.

Focusing on one day, one class, one semester will keep me grounded in the "now" and when I reach the "end" (matriculation), I will start the process all over again.

December 5, 2008 is a big day - registration day for returning students at the U. One more little step toward realizing a dream and going for it, one more little step towards getting out of a career that has taken good care of my son and I, but always left me yearning for something greater.

Someday, I will join this -

http://www.amsa.org

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Congratulations on your decision to follow your dream. I too am a non-trad finally finishing my Bachelor's degree (march, yay!) and beginning my pre-reqs this summer. We will do it! :-)

Best,
Jacqueline

A Doc 2 Be said...

You are getting so close - congrats! It's quite the feeling to have the degree finalized (will be even better when that UPS delivered med school acceptance letter arrives!)

Keep up the great work :) We WILL do this!