Monday, September 28, 2009

The Bane of My Evenings...

physics. Didn't see that one coming, did ya?!

The material is not hard, the math is not complicated but why did someone not warn me this little 4 credit class is about as much work as a 6 credit course? I really do like the course but dear God, the work load is kicking my butt... think the dogs even growled at me tonight as I tried to sneak into the house unannounced.

It is often said that organic chemistry is the gatekeeper to medical school. I think it is physics. Why?

Anyone who can manage to schedule around the multiple papers, quizzes, exams, pre-flights, pre-lab quizzes, problem work ups, predictions, essays, and lab reports for this one class, work a part time job, complete the work for other courses as well as take those exams, should be able to skillfully manage the work load for med school.

Drinking from the fire hose is the metaphor used for med school; drinking from five sprinklers is the metaphor for physics.

Thankfully, the professor is funny and well liked. Thankfully, I'm getting accustomed to the schedule (basically every night is physics sprinkled with some chemistry, with biochem for dessert).

Back at it...

4 comments:

Non Traditional Pred Med Guy said...

I'm glad you enjoy physics. I will be taking calculus and I'm trying to find ways to enjoy it so this quarter would go by smoothly. I hate math so this should be interesting.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Eeek! I cannot imagine being on the pre-med path and hating math! I hope you find a math class you enjoy.

Question: why calculus? Very few medical schools REQUIRE calculus. It may be required for an undergraduate degree program, but of the 25 medical schools I've cross referenced for application reqs, none of them required calc. Thank God!!

Old MD Girl said...

Harvard required a year of calculus the year I applied to med school. Bastards. I think there was another one that did as well. Duke maybe? Hopkins?

A Doc 2 Be said...

Yes, Harvard requires calc but I think if I applied there, I'd hear laughing all the way across the country :) Needless to say, Harvard isn't in my pick of 25 AMCAS schools I intend to apply at.