Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stress

Real life, outside of the blog, and my life has a tad bit 'o stress... the house, my son, school, finances, working, volunteering, "fitting it all together", and then some. I've wondered how much easier school would be without the major distractions I've had and then realize, I can't change, fix, or control the outside factors - as I've continually tried with limited success - just how I deal with it.

So, I run. I hate running. Let me be crystal clear: hate it. However, once I put the iTunes and iShuffle in my ears, tie on Asics Air Nimbus running shoes and zipper the cute pink top the world seems to slip away. In no time, I've gone 2 or 3 miles, listened to my favorite songs, probably even hummed along with them (sorry to those who've since learned I'm tone deaf), and I'm energized. And relaxed.

I also swim. Started with 10 laps then thought myself a wimp and moved to 14 and finally up to 1/2 mile at a time. Even better when I run first for 30 minutes, then swim for another 20. All of that followed by a hot shower and things are pretty easy to live with.

The stress of life + the stress of trying to do the insane (med school at 45) = running & swimming and ultimately, less stress and no headaches.

2 comments:

Ella said...

Great blog! I'm a non-trad med student... so I feel your frustrations and excitement and understand all you write about. I also have a non-trad blog, feel free to check it out. Keep on the path. Its all about tenacity, and nothing else. Nothing. Good luck!

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thanks for the support! I will definitely check your blog out as well. Good luck to you (to all of us!).