Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Procrastination - The Bane Of My Existence

When I was younger, school came easily for me. Never studied, never read the text books, hardly even stopped to think about papers I needed to write so when I got to college the first time around, I took the same approach.

HA! That didn't work out so well for me. Thanks to the generous registrar and some other notables, I did receive a degree. If they'd had a degree for "we-are-tired-of-you-being-a-continual-student-go-work" degree, I'd have graduated Summa Cum Laude.

Fast forward to now: I read, I study, I do word problems until my eyes bleed. In my tiny little calendar replete with University of Minnesota emblazoned on it, I have all my tests noted - day of and a week before reminder - however, I seemed to ignore that this week.

In 11 hours my chem pre-lab quiz needs to be entered and passed for me to enter the lab in 12 hours. I'm anal about getting all these points. There are only 10 but it bothers me to get a 9... so I make sure they are correct.

I started it last week when it was available online. I even went so far as to make the equations and plug in some numbers... then stopped because I "had all this time" and a son who needed my attention, and the lawn needed to be mowed, and the laundry needed to be done (HA! didn't say "hung up" as well), and the dogs needed to be groomed, and ... procrastination.

It is the bane of my existence right now. So on top of chem pre-lab quiz, I have pre-flight for physics, physics homework, and biochem to read.

Procrastination is biting my butt - you'd think I'd have learned my first go 'round at the U... my head is thick as a plank!

3 comments:

Doctor D said...

You'll find over years of medical eduction that you live your life in those hours you procrastinate. Enjoy them and don't stress too much.

Just do what you need to do to get into medical school. The dirty little secret of premed is that you'll never use 99% of that Chem, Physics, and Biochem. And Organic Chem is just a hazing ritual--no doctor ever actually needs to know it.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you for the encouragement!

It absolutely astounded me that I was not on-top of my game this week.

Thank you for letting me know I need to enjoy life as well as get into med school.

Med school or bust!

(P.S. I don't mind ochem, actually find it kind of cool pushing electrons all over the place bonding things, call me a geek!)

putnam2800 said...

Hey hang in there :P my brain is like oatmeal and I'm trying not to stress out "too much" either...

I just had my ochem test and am not too happy with it..not too mention the fact that one of the questions was worth 10points and it was a one-word answer (??) but hey, time to move on and prep for the next round ey?