Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Eh... Old Chem

My son, now 19, is taking chemistry this semester.  His teacher is a bit ... looking for the right word... nice, but not very good in the lecture hall.  While I desparately try to NOT cringe when I think back to my g-chem professor (you know, the stalker?), I likewise have to admit (and have always done so, by the way), he was fabulous in the classroom.

So, last night my son, being 19, tried to cram for a g-chem exam. 

"Mom, can you teach me stoichiometry in 20 mins?"

I reached for a kleenex to wipe the snort off my hand.

Last night, in the comfy leather Lazy Boy chairs, I sat with my son and converted grams to moles to molecules; percentage yield, theoretical yield, EA, acid-base equation balancing, and then some.

In a way, it was kind of fun in the way only a 19 year old male son could make it.

Guess *Mom* isn't so stupid after all :)

And it gets better - he wants me to help him for the rest of the semester saying I do a better job of teaching him the chemistry than his PhD prof.  Probably helps that the prof can't threaten him with eviction... haha.

Guess I've learned more than just the chemistry... guess I've realized how much I miss being in school.

1 comment:

Red Stethoscope said...

Wow, I am so impressed that you found pleasure in this! I'm not going to lie...I got a little tense reading the word, "stoichiometry." (We weren't supposed to retain that info. in the LONG TERM, right? :D)