Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mr. Zim

Last year in biochem we studied the effects and ravaging that Alzheimer's does to the physical brain of a patient. Set side by side, the normal curvatures and depth of crevices, is vastly different than that of the Alzheimer's patient. In the normal brain other areas are still full of matter, in the dementia patient, not so much.

Mr. Zim was a 2nd father to me. When I was a baby, his eldest three kids were on a boat with my parents and my two older brothers.... while it sank... at the dock. Meanwhile, he was back at the cabin with his wife Mrs. Zim watching me take my first baby steps.

His stories of alligator island and the lake witch, his love of the eagles and incessant need to drive the boat up into the channels, his patience teaching this noob how to waterski, his ability to not scream at me when I launched a myriad of fireworks around his boats during a 4th of July celebration, his concern for my well being when my parents informed him that I had just had Austin, his insistence that my parents acknowledge and sujpport me no matter how embarrassed they were that I was a single mom (the first time), his care and love for me as a family daughter... all 45 years of memories that I can easily access are in front of me, like a video tape inside my head.

Today, Mr. Zim left his worldly life behind. Today, Mr. Zim left family and friends to mourn his passing.

Alzheimer's took his life but Heaven gained a righteous, wonderful soul.

R.I.P. Mr. Zim, my life was blessed for having had you in it.

2 comments:

Slamdunk said...

My condolences to your friend. He sounds like a wonderful man.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you. We knew it was coming but we thought weeks, not hours.

He was ... amazing.

I was blessed. While the family and friends of his mourn, Heaven smiles and welcomes one the best back home.