Thursday, October 14, 2010

MPH Questions

One of the areas in my last few years of studies that I have thoroughly enjoyed and loved, was the hard sciences.

Yes, I had to have propranolol near by for my near-fainting attacks during exams.  I do not suffer anxiety any other time.  Yes, I had to work really damn hard at getting equations right, understand the principles behind the equations, and push the dumb calculator buttons appropriately.

But I loved the classes!  I loved being pushed to learn something that was not easy, or should I say, as easy as ready Henry David Thoreau and writing a paper.  It also brought me back to a time and place in my life where I could rely on me. 

I miss that.

Will I get to take the hard science classes in an MPH program?  If so, which ones?

Will I get to take research classes relevant to specific disease states that interest me?  Who gets to choose those?

My concern is that the classes will be the fuzzy, feely, warm-touchy classes that I abhor.  While theory and consideration and hypothesizing with peers might sound like fun in the short term, in the long run, I think I'd puke... not literally, but ...

So, I'm still considering, asking, pondering, searching, researching, hoping, and sometime soon, embarking.

Make it a great day!

No comments: