Friday, September 9, 2011

First Week Review

In one of my classes, there is a young student in the front row.  Smaller in stature than the others, surely shorter than me at 6'1", wears jeans and sweatshirts, takes notes, fiddles with the drawstrings.  The questions the student raises are fairly astute, the behavior very similar to all other sophomores and that is where the similarities end.

My classmate is:  11

Yes.   Really.  You read that right: 1 year past 10 years of age.

There is a 36 year difference between, what I hope will be, the two curve busters.

I'm still stuck on the fact the student is 11, in a biology class which requires 1 year of college chemistry to be able to register.

Shaking my head, I can only imagine how proud the student's parents are, how hard they've worked to keep their obviously gifted student engaged, energized, intrigued, and emotionallly connected to others.  Kudos to them, and to the academic systems that make such brilliant minds prosper.

11.

Wow!

3 comments:

Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Well, well, I hope, too, that the parents and other family and friends of the genius are as proud of her as I am. Amazing !~!

NP Odyssey said...

He has the IQ, and I hope he developes a health EQ (Emotional Quotient)

A Doc 2 Be said...

I think it will be interesting to see how the semester unfolds. So far, the individual displays some pretty solid maturity.

At 11.

(Still shaking my head in disbelief)