Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Mom - 79

Mom's van has been overhauled at least seven times now. The front end, the sides, and once I believe even the back end was redone. This past weekend while out driving, she did it again.

I'm concerned not only for they're finances in paying for the deductible, but at what point should my elderly parents not drive at night anymore? Dad quit driving already given his medical issues of the last 9 months.

My mom is relatively healthy - her knee replacement surgery held up, her hips don't hurt as much anymore, her back is good and she's never had heart r mind issues...

But her nemesis on the road?

3 comments:

Slamdunk said...

Sorry to hear about mom and deer.

We live in an area with lots of deer and I had not had car contact with them in a decade--then hit three in one year (or better yet 2 hit me). I guess that is the odds catching up with me.

Solitary Diner said...

Such a hard decision. Can your mom restrict her driving to the daytime without it majorly impacting her quality of life?

A Doc 2 Be said...

There were four deer crossing the road and she nailed the middle one. I think my concern is that she is just not seeing things at night anymore and it scares me.

Solitary - I'm trying to figure out how to address what you suggest. She's a decent day driver, just thinking maybe she should quit at night from now on. She is a very independent woman so it will not go over well... but maybe planting the seed will help her arrive at a safe decision.