Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hakuna Matata

Remember Pumba in the Lion King when he first sees Simba becoming smitten with Nala?  He kind of says to Timon, "It starts!" and then winces a bit...

That's how today felt.

It was awesome to be an entire week ahead on reading and notecard making.  I'd been prepping for the class(es) over the weekend and must admit, I smiled inside when the professor started talking about key points during lecture and I just made stars on the cards.  "Got it!"

Then there was the open o-chem slot with a teacher who is well liked.  Conflicted with my bio lab though.  Only professor left is very well UNliked and known to be rather difficult... doesn't like to give "A"s... doesn't believe the student body at a Big 10 school are smart enough, like him from Ivy, to obtain the coveted "A"...

I registered anyway and am going to try and get into the other class that doesn't conflict with lab.  An "in" at the school told me I really needed to "A"ce ochem or med school go buhbye.  It may anyway but why stick one foot in a hole that I know exists, right?

That "age" thing keeps slapping me in the face.  If I don't take ochem this semester, I not only lose my health insurance, I fall another year behind in applications.  I'd be 49 at applications and 50 starting, if admitted.

I'm not going to lie.  THAT scares the bejeepers out of me!!!!  50???

It's easy for the younger people to say age doesn't matter.  There are docs who read here, and others who work with them, that know differently.  MY age does matter and as much as I try not to think about it, I can't quite find the "Hakuna matata" inside me tonight.

Maybe it's just first day jitters.  Hope so!

3 comments:

Slamdunk said...

I like your prepping a week in advance--it is good to be off on the right foot.

You'll do great.

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thanks, SD! Feels great to be ahead :)

Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Fifty... i am 54 and wow-is it a HUGE change from 44. Physically, I am thrashed every day; emotionally I am much more stable than five years ago but it was hard getting here; mentally gets better every decade and of course improves exponentially with further challenging material.

A mixed bag of good, bad, and hard as hell.


wv = efari where we go every day as we sit down to read blogs !~!