Monday, July 26, 2010

The Elderly Couple...

The short story on the elderly couple that were likewise robbed, vandalized, and victimized are in their mid to late 70's, going home after enjoying a warm Saturday night at the outdoor plaza listening to salsa music, and eventually, the opera from Puccini, "Tosca" ...

It is shameful what happened to them. Thieves probably cased the couple as well as myself. Despicable comes to mind - how could anyone mercilessly rob an elderly couple and feel good about themselves? I know, the thief doesn't or he/she would not need to steal.

Their loss has bothered me since early Sunday morning when I arrived home. What could I do? Could I help? Could I get their names? If so, what then?

Well, here is the plan - stay tuned for how YOU can help:

I'm going to try and set up a deposit account at the local franchise bank. They are very reputable as far as handling funds, and were one of the first banks nationwide, to give their money back to the Federal government. The only issue in doing this is that I do not want my name attached to it, nor do I want to manage the account. I want a banker to do that for me so that there is absolutely NO question about who will get the funds. The internet being what it is, I don't want anyone to mis-perceive the intention.

Then I'm writing the local paper about what happened leaving their names purposefully anonymous including all identifying characteristics out but giving enough detail so that people know my request and article/op-ed piece are legit. Their continued safety and dignity will remain intact.

Once that is complete, or concurrently, I'm going to post a link here for Paypal which will be linked to that account. My instructions will be that the only people who can withdraw that money are the banker or the couple.

When there are sufficient funds, or the funds have stopped coming into the account, I'll ask that the couple be notified; all while remaining anonymous myself. They can do what they wish with the money and if by chance they've gotten their coins back, I'd make a simple request that they donate the money to Ronald McDonald house instead, or St. Jude.

Stay tuned. Hopefully, I'll have either made this go, or understood it can't be week's end.

Make it a great day!

1 comment:

Slamdunk said...

Sounds like a wonderful cause--thanks for looking out for them.