Friday, December 4, 2009

That Test Sucked!!!

Dear God.

That is all :)

Actually, the test was not THAT brutal just very different from the study guide given to us. I felt I would have done extremely well had the material noted on study guide been what was exactly tested. It was not. Never a great feeling when you get to end sheets of WRITTEN part of exam and think, "Um, say what?!"

So I punted. I wrote what I knew. Made up a hilarious name for a medication for sickle cell (the disease is NOT hilarious but my medication name was)

Infantisis fetalisis hemoglobinesteraselol

So yea. Couldn't answer the questions as detailed as I would have liked to in sickle cell trait because I did not study the trait, I studied the disease, why it occurs, where it starts (GLU hydrophilic codon replaced by VAL hydrophobic codon), what the impact of that missense does to the gene, how that affects the patient (vasodilation, or vasoconstriction, or platelets clogging arteries and veins as they now hydrophobic clumps get herded by water inside body).

Oh, and the last page was on Cystic Fibrosis. It wasn't on study guide. So my knowledge of the disease came from in class discussion and personal knowledge.

However, since the test sucked, I sucked on it, and that pretty much sums up my test day, I'm taking a different thought process on this:

1) do really well on paper that is required and needs to be complete by Monday (worth same amount of points as an exam)

2) understand how the instructor tests so that I can nail the last exam

Do very well in class overall.

I learned from this experience... and quietly admit, if I don't get into med school (le gasp and cry), I think I love biochem, and research and possibly PhD? I don't know. I really hope I can be with patients, not behind a desk and microscope all day. But I must prepare for backup plan (and possibly a PhD program wouldn't admit me anyway?)

So... I'm good with today. Exam sucked. I learned something new.

Make it a great day!

7 comments:

Dalai said...

My daughter hasn't been caught by this sort of thing that much in college, but my son in high school has suffered greatly. The teacher tells them the test will be over thus and so, but the actual exam covers a lot more. Sadly, I have to tell him that he cannot trust his teachers. He has to review EVERYTHING that was even touched on in class, and know the book cold. He's starting to catch on...

I'm sure you did better than you think you did. My daughter comes out of every single test thinking she failed it, only to discover that she actually performed well.

femail doc said...

I've never understood the reasoning behind tricking students with tests like this. After all, what is the point of the test except to demonstrate knowledge on material learned? Good luck on your paper; what's the subject?

A Doc 2 Be said...

Thank you, both!

I think, in the professor's defense, he thought we WOULD study more than what was on study guide, but everyone in class felt it was not. He has won numerous awards for teaching so.. maybe the 1st test is a scare tactic?

My paper is on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. I've done the peer review research, NIH, CDC, and Neurology magazine article review. Now I just need to put it together. Succinctly!

Make it a great day ~ and thank you again!

Slamdunk said...

As a student that was always my pet peeve: if you are going to bother with a study guide, make it worth the student's while. Best wishes with your studies and pursuit of a fantastic dream.

A Doc 2 Be said...

One way to look at it is: it was worth my while, it just won't show in my exam grade :( . I'll be better prepared for the last exam and am well prepared for further study on the topics. Just a bit disappointing when I'm chasing a dream.

Thank you for the support!

Karen said...

One reason that I, as a professor, don't generally make study guides. I make a syllabus and schedule, assign reading, give lectures, hold office hours, and sometime host review Q&As. I don't *also* rewrite what should be in my students' notes and hand it out again.

A Doc 2 Be said...

In the end, 90% of my class argued points so the curve ended skewing upward.

An 86% (my current grade) is a B- .

A perfect score on the final of 100, would have given me an 89.5%, a B.

No incentive to study, no incentive to stay in class.

I would rather explain to an adcom:

an entire semester withdrawn from

than

2 - Ws
1 - B

because no matter how much the professor says I did really well and yada, yada... the med school is only going to see that "B" and the "W"s.

Pausing to rethink this now.

Maybe I really AM not smart enough to do this path.