Monday, April 26, 2010

Marmaduke Is Coming Out

I have a polite request, to all of you:

Please, if you go see the movie, please know Great Danes are different dogs and if you are tempted to buy a puppy, PLEASE research this breed, visit rescues, visit SHOW breeders homes, go to show if necessary, research some more, visit some more, and then MAYBE get a dane.

We owners of this breed, who truly care about their health, lifespan (short), and welfare are nervous. Thankfully, the movie trailer shows Marmaduke engaging in typical Dane behavior:

counter surfing
jumping out of bath tubs
ill-trained dane dragging its owner across a park
ill-trained dane barging through people
ill-trained and managed dane destroying the house

These things are NOT UNCOMMON in a dane that is not well trained, they are, in fact, very typical. That cute little puppy that weighs 20 lbs at 3 months of age, will quickly become 190 lbs of 1.5 year old, teenage, exuberance.

Storm - as he lies here recovering from the nastiest incision I have ever seen - was the naughtiest puppy I've ever owned and I was not a first time dane owner... I'd rescued, fostered, rehomed, and loved adult danes before.

Storm is well bred meaning his father is the sire to many of the championship lines that exist today. His sire and dam's health was checked for hips, thyroid, heart, eyes, etc. There was a guarantee on him until age two. His AKC meant nothing, means nothing other than his parents are certified as purebred. The parental health checks meant that I was only guaranteed they were not poor in hips, eyes, heart, thyroid NOT that issues would not arise. I thought I had done my research and I still ended up with a very naughty, very mischievous boy... that I came to adore... but it was not always that way.

I am a decent dog owner but I think I can do better.

Marmaduke looks hilarious... especially for those of who know, the scenes depicted are not Hollyweird fantasy but actual events that happen with danes.

1 comment:

ForeverRhonda said...

I had the same worries when Marley and Me came out. We are lab owners and they are wonderful dogs, but they are not for everyone! I encourage anyone buying or rescuing ANY breed do research first.